The vision of the founding fathers of the Republic of Indonesia has always been a pluralist, multi-cultural society where even sexual minorities should have their rightful place.
Vision and Mission
Arus Pelangi strives to affect the societal norms and perceptions towards the LGBTI communities in such a way as to create a higher level of equality and respect for LGBTI in Indonesia, and to increase an overall awareness of the rights of the LGBTI communities as human beings and citizens.
Arus Pelangi is a non profit, non government, member based federation established in 2006 that upholds the principles of independent, anti discrimination, anti violence, pluralism, democracy, equality (egalitarian), non partisan (impartial), gender equality, justice, and democracy, and aims to establish social order that values equality in respect to the rights of LGBTI people as human rights.
Arus Pelangi aims to be a federation that unites LGBTI rights defenders through the following missions:
- to build awareness, to empower and to strengthen capacities of the most vulnerable LGBTI people;
- to play an active role in policy reform that protects the rights of LGBTI people, and
- to play an active role in building public awareness through empowerment processes to encourage public acceptance towards LGBTI people
- Independent: Arus Pelangi does not accept funding from the Indonesian government. This allows us to remain independent and unfettered to criticize discriminatory policies towards LGBTI that are currently employed by the government.
- Anti-Discrimination: Arus Pelangi wholly opposes discrimination of any sort that is faced by LGBT; whether based on sexual orientation, background, religion, race, social status, or political conviction.
- Pro Gender Equality: Arus Pelangi holds sexual diversity in high esteem and values all variations of sexual orientation and gender role, especially those in the minority (LGBTI).
- Anti-Violence: Arus Pelangi wholly opposes the use of violence, either physical or psychological, towards members of the LGBTI communities. This includes violence commited by the state or by individuals.
- Pluralist: Arus Pelangi fights against the efforts of local fundamentalist and right-wing movements which discredit and criminalise LGBTI in the name of religion.
- Egalitarian: Arus Pelangi strives for political, legal, social, economic, and cultural equality for LGBTI persons.
- Impartial: Arus Pelangi is non-partisan and is not involved in political parties, economic enrichment, or government bureaucracy, but actively tries to influence political parties in the way they handle LGBTI issues. Arus Pelangi is only partial to the LGBTI communities it represents.