Our primary beneficiaries include LGBT Guyanese persons, and others who do not identify as heterosexual or cis-gender. SASOD focuses its work on combating homophobia, advancing human rights, and promoting health. SASOD also plays leading roles within regional and cross-regional human rights coalitions and networks advancing LGBT rights in the Caribbean, Latin America and across the Global South.
- Combating Homophobia: SASOD is dedicated to the eradication of homophobia in Guyana and throughout the Caribbean. We have worked tirelessly to repeal discriminatory Guyanese laws, change local attitudes about the LGBT community, and end discrimination in the government, workplace, and community.
- Human Rights Advocacy: Freedom from discrimination and hate-filled violence is a right for all people. We at SASOD are committed to promoting the rights of all people, especially those whose voices are marginalized in Guyana today. Children, women, and the LGBT persons have the full support of SASOD with regard to their human rights.
- Health Promotion: SASOD is committed to the promoting health and health lifestyle choices among the Guyanese LGBT Community. Prevention of HIV/AIDS transmission, use of prophylactics, and safe sexual practices are all goals of SASOD’s health initiative. The unjust marginalization of the LGBT community in Guyana makes this initiative critical for the community as a whole.
- SASOD’s Annual LGBT Film Festival: One of SASOD’s proudest achievements is its ‘edutainment’ calendar event, is its annual LGBT film festival which started in 2005 and is now in its ninth year. “Painting the Spectrum” is the only annual LGBT film festival in the English-speaking Caribbean. It is held at the Sidewalk Café on Middle Street in Georgetown since its inception.
- Spectrum Vibes: Noting the absence of a dedicated publication targeting the LGBT community in Guyana, SASOD created Spectrum Vibes. In addition to being the official public relations tool for SASOD, Spectrum Vibes will also feature articles on health, arts and entertainment, and other topics that of interest to member of the LGBT community. Its purpose is to inspire, inform, educate, and entertain.